Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Italian Food and Fatherhood

Okay, if there’s one thing that will happen because of this quarantine, it’s that I’m going to become a foodie. We are on one week for my family’s social distancing and my eight year old looked me in the face and legitimately asked if I was trying to recreate the Great British Baking Show and if this was bread week.

Yes, yes dear son, it is. This is bread Spring.



Last night we had manicotti made by my husband, tonight was corned beef and cabbage ala my half Irish father, and tomorrow, well, tomorrow I hope to recreate a dish from my childhood in honor of the solemnity.

I never once thought that I would ever hear (or read) that magical, sugary word Zeppole after 20+years away from a very Italian neighborhood in which I once lived. If you are unfamiliar with Zeppole, it’s essentially fried dough dusted with powdered sugar. Sweet clouds of powdered sugar that stick to your fingers as you lick each delicious piece of ricotta infused dough from every fingernail. One family made Zeppole each year for our church carnival. I remember the white paper bag filled with cooling dough that my father would bring home at the end of the night. We would each get one and, oh, how I wanted five!

When looking up traditions for St. Joseph’s Day tomorrow (after completing the free coloring page of the same saint), my mouth began to salivate when I read that folks traditionally wear red on that day and EAT ZEPPOLE.

Let me repeat for those in the back. IMMA FRY SOME IRISH LADY MADE DOUGH TOMORRA.

It seems so fitting too, remembering the jolly fellow who fried the dough with his daughter who had a head of dark curls and recalling my own father’s wink as he would pass “just one more” Zeppole to me after I turned the big blue eyes pleadingly upon him. Zeppole is a father’s dessert in my mind.

In some countries, the solemnity of Saint Joseph is also Father’s Day. Maybe Joseph cooked for Mary and Jesus. Maybe he would wink and give Jesus extra treats. We certainly know that he was a compassionate and brave example to his adopted son.

On March 19th we celebrate St. Joseph for his part in the redemption, as husband and father, as patron of social justice (it's true!) and an example of trust.

I hope that this limited time free coloring page sends you a waft of sizzling dough and the sound of fathers who dearly love their children as Joseph loved Jesus.

Part of my multicultural series, this child Jesus and Saint Jodeoh are inspired by a Latino father and son image I found that took my breath away. I've seen my own husband nuzzling and playing so dearly with our children.



Click the link here to download the PSF coloring pageor download the photo below. Please remember no reselling, redistributing, or resharing of the file. For personal use only.

Make sure to share your personalization and tag me on Facebook or Instagram.





No comments:

Post a Comment